Monday, September 9, 2013

Back in town!

Fabulous! I am back in Atlanta! This is where my “US journey” started in 1979. At that time I got a scholarship from Agnes Scott College in Decatur. Little did I know that this one year stint would turn into a longer stay in the US.  The year at Agnes Scott was a phenomenal experience and I subsequently wanted to stay in the US to get a Bachelor degree. Too expensive at a small private school – but affordable for me at Georgia State University. They also  let me take “CLEP” tests (not sure I remember that name correctly) on subjects I had already covered in high school in Germany….so I got a head start on credits and was able to get my degree in one and a half years. From there I went to Miami to get an MBA at the University of Miami…

And now I am back in downtown Atlanta which looks quite different from 30 years ago – Oxford Bookstore is gone and so is Jagger’s which was one of my favorite restaurants close to Emory…..well, time moves on!

I am thrilled to be back here for the Global Business Forum on the Future of Sustainability – this is a great meeting that AIESEC has initiated with the J. Mack Robinson College of Business to  allow students to gain a real-world perspective on the themes that are covered in GSU’s “Globalization and Business Practices” class. I get to deliver the keynote and talk about the work we do at Hewlett Packard in Sustainability – sure hope that the programs and examples I will share will help the students get excited about creating shared value in their future professional life – value for their respective businesses at the same time they are creating value for society. We have a lot to do together – all of us!



2 comments:

  1. Georgia and Georgia State University welcomed you here! It was an honor to meet and talk to you Gabi. You are an inspirating woman. Thank you for coming to our school and giving us great advice! I will continue to follow your blog and maybe you can mentor me. Keep up the good work and let's continue to change the world for a better place.

    Narae Cho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments Narae. The pleasure was all mine. You guys rock!!
      Cheers
      Gabi

      Delete